[ola] complete sentences vs. memorized phrases/listing

  • From: JoAnna Coleman <joannac@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:48:10 +0000

Hello all -

During oral assessments, I sometimes have a difficult time distinguishing
between what would be considered complete sentences vs. a memorized
phrase/chunk or listing

What would you say about the following in an oral assessment? (2nd year Spanish)

Describe tu rutina por la manana:

Me despierto a las seis todos los dias, entonces me levanto lentamente y voy al
bano. Me ducho en la ducha con agua caliente, me lavo el pelo con champu, y el
cuerpo con jabon. Mi jabon favorito es Dove y mi champu favorito es Suave.
Despues, me seco con una toalla, etc...

These are, in fact, phrases that students have memorized/internalized in a
list, but they are also complete sentences. (he isn't saying yo ir, yo champu
pelo, yo favorito Dove, etc...)

Also, when a student answers a question with a phrase/chunk that you wouldn't
naturally a complete sentence, how do you assess that?

Example:

question: con que frecuencia te lavas el pelo?

answer: todos los dias (it seems unnatural for me to insist that they answer
this question with a complete sentence, me lavo el pelo todos los dias)

I'm asking the wrong questions, aren't I?

I think it's important to ask follow up questions to break up the somewhat
memorized monologue they've prepared for "describe tu rutina por la manana" to
see what they do when caught off guard with a question: will they revert to
phrases/chunks/listing or maintain complete sentences?

Thanks and happy Friday!

JoAnna Coleman
Spanish Teacher
Wilson High School