[ola] Re: Visitation Days pt. 2

  • From: Arnold Bleicher <arnoldb@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: OLA Listserve <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:51:30 -0800

Ricardo,

There are a couple of questions/comments to your posting.

First, are you measuring proficiency or performance? The IPA is an
assessment of performances in various modalities and draws a line between
the world of performance and proficiency.

Next, on your notes you made the comment on how to use more interpersonal
and interpretive and less presentational. I wonder if you are talking about
your input or are you questioning the role of the student? For the role of
the student I find that including all 3 modalities in an organized, balanced
approach, leads to higher levels of performance. A lot of people discount
the presentational mode, and I do as well in terms of demonstrating
performance or proficiency, but it is an integral component in helping
students learn language.

The text I referred to earlier in the response to Nanosh, is a good model to
use in employing the 3 modalities in teaching and learning L2.

Arnold

From:  Ricardo Linnell <hurricanetumbao@xxxxxxxxx>
Date:  Sat, 25 Feb 2012 16:27:03 -0800
To:  OLA Listserve <ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>