[ola] Re: Kahoot...

  • From: P Cooke <pcooke2003@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ola@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:00:13 -0800

Hola a todos --

I am a beginner with OWL.

My big questions have to do with class size & diversity, class level (as in
very beginning), maturity level, accommodation of diverse learning styles,
motivation as well as the difficulty of preparing kids for the next level,
where a very traditional approach is used.  The first challenge for me is
involving everyone and keeping them involved in an inner city setting where
kids are all over the spectrum on any criteria you can think of except age.
Some are definite introverts, some have general trust issues or conflicts
with certain classmates, some learn best deductively & systematically, some
have suffered trauma as kids and have mistaken ideas about how to 'belong'
in the group [aka "they misbehave"], some are just plain hungry and tired,
and since electives at my school, including language classes, can sometimes
be a 'dumping ground', there are kids who never wanted to learn a second
language to begin with.
The second challenge is that we are DATA-obsessed so I need to have
specific goals with specific ways of measuring them at the end of the
year...
My questions concern:
How to begin discussing things in a meaningful and apparently (to the kids)
spontaneous way without much at all in the way of vocab.
How to hold kids accountable for their learning and have a (measurable)
record of this for the administration.
How to prepare kids for a traditional program with this type of spontaneous
('hit & miss'?) approach to vocab and grammar.
How to involve 30+ kids many of whom would rather be sitting (perhaps with
heads down) or speaking only English or who don't have a clue what's
happening or who want to goof off... and keep them involved and speaking
the target language.
BTW, I want to thank all of you for your ideas, activities, etc --- I very
much appreciate all the sharing. I am only using the OWL approach about 20%
of the time, but I find your ideas very helpful both on OWL and non-OWL
days.  GRACIAS :-)

Small questions:  How would you say 'creepy' in Spanish??   How do you come
up with different gestures for each vocab word?? (Wish I knew and could
incorporate ASL!)

Thanks again.  Happy 2014, everybody!

อย่างจริงใจ
*       patti*