[obol] Re: seawatch gull counts

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 17:38:56 -0700

People who don't do ocean watching very often don't realize that huge
percentages of populations move in a short period of time.  One year I counted
- pretty closely - ten thousand Surf Scoters *on the water* in one long flock
covering about four miles of the northern Lane County coast.  The movement had
chosen to rest there.  They looked like the world's largest kelp string - but
they were all Surf Scoters.  And I mean zero White-wings. In two days they were
gone. Cal Gull, Pacific Loon and, in spring, Western Sandpiper do the same
thing, though the gulls are a bit more spread out.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx