[obol] Whitaker Ponds Nature Park

  • From: Sandi Morey <hobbsmorey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:29:21 -0700

Hello, just a heads-up that the lovely little birding hotspot Whitaker Ponds
Nature Park on NE 47th Avenue off Columbia Blvd. apparently is undergoing a
property-line issue; today when we went there to see what birds were about, we
encountered a brand new and unfinished cyclone fence running across several
spots on the south part of the pond loop trail.  The mesh is peeled back so
hikers can get through, but there's no signage to say what's going on.

When I queried the Columbia Slough folks, they said the Portland Parks Bureau
is sending out this message:

“It turns out that the fence restricting access to the trail on the south side
of Whitaker Ponds was constructed by the neighboring property owner; the trail
is actually on their property.  Parks has been, and is continuing, to attempt
to negotiate an easement but right now Parks is still working with the property
owner.We will keep trying, and appreciate your concern and advocacy.” I'm not
sure who the appropriate folks to contact at PPB might be, but I just now
e-mailed their Environmental Education section asking about and expressing
concern about the situation.  If you're interested in expressing your concern,
the e-mail address I used was  enviroed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (it's the one I
found when I went to PPR and put Whitaker Ponds in their search box).  If you
are interested and know of a better contact e-mail, it'd be great to have that.
Thanks!
Sandi Morey, NE Portland  PS: Birds were the usual suspects, lots of WOOD
DUCKS, some MALLARDS, a BELTED KINGFISHER, a CEDAR WAXWING, several CANADA
GEESE, a GREAT EGRET, a few E. STARLINGS, an AUDUBON'S YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER,
etc.