[obol] What to do with old bird data

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2015 13:29:21 -0700

Wayne's comment brings up an issue of broader interest. He doesn't want the
data, but "someone" should deal with it. The problem is that there is no
designated "someone."

Many of us who have been taking up space in the Oregon birding community for
decades have boxes and files sitting in dim corners that contain bird data,
either our own or somebody else's. For example, I think I have a box of Dick
Palmer's migration data from 35 years ago, and I have Ralph Browning's notes on
birds of Oregon that he sent me when he and his wife purged their home, bought
an RV and set out to tour the country and enjoy some birding.

I am concerned that anyone might think that I have a moral duty to use my time
and resources to enter that data into eBird. That is not true. I don't have
any such duty. Nor does MaryAnne have a duty to spend her time and resources
typing in all that team data. We never agreed to do that, even if we agreed
that people could dump their boxes in our homes.

It's true that the data is of potential use and value, but most of us barely
have time to enter our own data, let alone deal with piles that were handed to
us.

Perhaps OBA needs to consider finding some volunteers or hiring someone to
enter data of this nature.
.
.
Alan Contreras
acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx

Eugene, Oregon

On Jun 19, 2015, at 1:15 PM, Wayne Weber wrote:

Mary Anne,

If that “stack” includes results for individual parties on the Forest Grove
CBC, those data will be accepted by eBird, and ought to go into eBird. If you
throw them out, you would be destroying valuable data which people spent
hundreds of hours collecting. It’s not just the data from the entire count
that are valuable.

No, I certainly don’t want these data, but somebody ought to.

Wayne C. Weber
Delta, BC
contopus@xxxxxxxxx