[obol] Western Wood-Starling

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 19:43:53 -0800

Greetings Earbirders.....

While working on a roof this afternoon I heard my first Western
Wood-Starling of the year. :-)  Each year it seems, usually in about
February in my experience in western Oregon, European Starlings begin
imitating Western Wood-Pewees with increasing frequency. The song I heard
several times this afternoon from this starling was easily passable as a
pewee, but the song came each time from the top of a birch where a starling
was busy making all kinds of sounds. Between now and the time when early
Western Wood-Pewees usually arrive, e.g. late April, (some?) starlings will
quite regularly make pewee songs, and--especially from a distance--it can
be hard to know if you are hearing a real pewee or a starling. Usually if
you can just get a little closer you will be able to determine if a
starling is singing away or if it is an isolated pewee song. Be
particularly alert before late April.

Best Regards,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR