[obol] Re: Thayer's vs Glaucous-Winged x Western?

  • From: "Robert O'Brien" <baro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jrc7219@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 11:28:01 -0800

Well, many years ago I got excited about hybrid gulls but eventually
decided it was a little like
Pandora's Box, because they don't hybridize just once.  In those days I
photographed an adult, banded
gull in Portland, which turned out to originate from Skilak Lake on the
Kenai Peninsula.  In my obsession I later
kayaked this lake but didn't find it all that ornithologically intriguing.

Anyhow, on this lake (as elsewhere in the area) Glaucous-winged and Herring
freely hybridize.
And then they head south.

Although this gull has a bill perhaps a little large for Thayer's, the bill
has a similar color and thinness. It doesn't
look very Western-like to me though.   The rest of the gull is somewhat
oversized and 'heavy' for Thayers.
Soooooo, my vote would be for GWxHerring.  But hey, so far they aren't
demanding voter ID in birding,
so I'm just lucky I get to vote at all.

Bob OBrien
Carver OR