[obol] Re: Thayer's vs Glaucous-Winged x Western?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Janzen <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2015 06:33:05 +0000

Justin,

I agree with Tim Janzen on this bird. Definitely not a Thayer's. Bill is too
thick and in my opinion a bit too richly colored for a mid-winter Thayer's,
which tends to have a very washed out bill this time of year. Further, winter
adult Thayer's typically have a bit of a dark smudge around the eye, which this
bird also lacks.

The fairly clean white head, essentially black primary tips and fairly colorful
bill with no apparent black on the gonys point to this being a Glaucous-winged
Gull X Western Gull hybrid that is closer to the Western Gull end of the hybrid
cline. More midling hybrids and closer to pure adult Glaucous-winged Gulls
typically show a bit of black near the top of the red gonydeal spot.

Dave Irons
Portland, OR

From: tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [obol] Re: Thayer's vs Glaucous-Winged x Western?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2015 21:46:44 -0800

Dear Justin,The bill seems a little bit thick for a Thayer's Gull and the head
seems somewhat larger and less rounded than I typically see on a Thayer's Gull.
 I am more inclined to go with Glaucous-winged/Western hybrid.  Did you get any
open wing shots?Sincerely,Tim Janzen From: obol-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx