[obol] Re: Taverner's Cackling Goose vs. Lesser Canada Goose

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:09:41 -0700

Hi -

A few thoughts about all of this.  First, this discussion is happening
because it is important to tell the different forms of white-cheeked geese
apart, and because it is not particularly easy.  Different forms have very
different conservation status.  Hunters are expected to be able to
distinguish them, and we as birders ought to be able to do at least as well
as they do, both as a matter of ego, and so we can assess the
successes/failures of management.

Second, two important questions underlie the whole discussion.  Most of the
conversation and linked resources so far have been directed at the
question,  "What are the distinguishing features of the different forms?"
 This is appropriate, but the other question is also very relevant,  "How
did these birds become differentiated into so many forms?"  I'll try to
provide the beginnings of an answer.

So,  Three:  Northern Geese have a series of life-history traits that
together promote differentiation of local or regional forms.  These include
the following: a)  they migrate in family groups of parents plus juveniles,
assembled into flocks of birds that breed in the same local areas; b) these
flocks tend to stay together through the winter and through the spring
migration; c) they are mostly monogamous, and choose mates while wintering,
mostly within these flocks of birds from the local areas; and d) they have
the capability of adapting their morphology quite rapidly to the specifics
of their breeding habitat and migration length.

Four:  Most of the morphological characters that we use to tell them apart
are these same things that adapt to habitat and migration.  Generally, size
is negatively correlated with migration length:  The geese that nest
farthest north tend to be smallest, and the biggest ones have the shortest
migrations.  Among the white- cheeked forms, the tundra-nesting ones
(Cackling Geese) are small, the biggest are the "Giant Canada Geese" which
have very short migrations if any, and among the other Canada Goose forms,
ones with longer migrations (e.g., Dusky Canada Geese) are smaller than the
more resident ones (Western Canada Geese).  This also holds among species:
 Brant nest at high latitudes, have long migrations, and are very small.
Ditto Ross's Geese.  Snow Geese and White-fronted geese have relatively
long migrations for their size, but tend to break them into segments with
longer stopovers.  Bill size and shape, neck length, and plumage color also
are subject to fairly rapid adaptation.

Five:  Now getting back to identification.  "Real" Cackling Geese (ssp.
minima) have a compact breeding range in coastal Alaska.  Aleutian Cackling
Geese have a larger range currently, but went through a bottleneck a few
decades ago, where the breeding range was tiny (Buldir Island plus the
Semidi Islands).  In contrast, "Tavernier's"  Cackling Geese have a huge
and ecologically diverse range, and are substantially more variable.  So a
big part of the ID problem is that Tavs do not all look alike,   They are
more variable in size, color, and bill shape than either Aleutians or
minima Cackling.  Ditto for Lesser Canadas.   I think we have a tendency to
identify Tavs by process of elimination:  If it is too big, too pale, too
long bill to be minima, then it must be a Tav...

Wayne