[obol] Storm Birds again

  • From: "Wayne Hoffman" <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OBOL" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:04:11 -0700

We are having another storm today on the coast, although much less powerful
than Saturday's.  I spent about 90 minutes at the Yaquina Bay South Jetty
this morning - 8 AM - 9:30 AM.

There were several hundred California Gulls, both at the gull spot and
clustered on the base of the first finger.  Among them were at least 20
adult Herring Gulls, all with clear yellow irises, a few imm. Herring Gulls,
and 35 or so Heermann's Gulls, and of course the usual Westerns,
Glaucous-wings, and Olympics, none of the latter in unusual numbers.  I
could not pick out a Thayer's.

At least 7 ELEGANT TERNS were flying around over the channel, and 1 roosted
a while on the first finger.

1 ad. Black-legged Kittiwake flew across the channe, then west along the
south jetty, then on south.

One group of 8+  Bonaparte's Gulls, same route.

At least 3 Red-throated Loons in the channel.

No sign of Long-tailed Duck, and few scoters present.

Wayne