[obol] Saddle Mountain (Clatsop County)

  • From: Bill Bradford <billbradford1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2014 14:51:04 -0700

We hiked to the top of Saddle Mountain on Sunday. Birds on the way up
included several VARIED THRUSHES and a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, but perhaps the
most unusual bird was a CLARK'S NUTCRACKER. We only heard its distinctive
call twice and never saw it. We have been seeing dozens of them this year
in the Blue Mountains, but this one surely seemed out of place. We heard it
clearly, so unless there's a very talented, very loud Gray/Steller's Jay
mimic out there, we'd say it has to be a Clark's.

Saturday night we camped at the trailhead and heard two BARRED OWLS, a
WESTERN SCREECH OWL, and at least one other unidentified owl at dusk. The
unid. owl was similar to a pygmy owl, but lacked the consistency and tone
quality.

Bill Bradford & Lora Minty