[obol] Sabine's Gull and Red-naped SS

  • From: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klamathbasinbirdnews: googlegroups.com" <klamathbasinbirdnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 17:00:48 -0400 (EDT)

I followed up on the report by Russ Namitz, of the still present Sabine's Gull at Henzel Park, Agency Lake, and the report of a Red-naped Sapsucker at Wood River Wetland. Both birds are still present.

It was opening day of waterfowl season and it was blazing guns out there in the wetlands and Agency Lake. The Sabine's Gull was working the shoreline to the south of the dock and boat launch area of Henzel Park, Agency Lake.

The same hunting action was happening at Wood River Wetland, but the entrance and to the bridge was peaceful. The Red-naped Sapsucker was more of a lucky find as it was quiet. Another bird directed my attention towards it. It was in willows about half way to two thirds of the way down from the parking area, as Frank Hall mentioned in his post on finding it, on the south side of the drive.

Other birds of interest at Wood River Wetlands included a movement of Varied Thrush as there were several there, and Mountain Chickadees, which outnumbered Black-capped for once at that location. Two Red-shouldered hawks were out in the willows in the wocus . The Steller's Jay, Brown Creeper, and Golden-crowned Kinglet seemed to indicate forest bird movement as they are usually not at that location.

Kevin Spencer
rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Klamath Falls, OR