[obol] Re: window strikes

  • From: Amy Summerfelt <als466@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ensatina3@xxxxxxxxxxx, OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:32:37 -0500

Here are some <http://www.flap.org/residential.php> more really good tips
on preventing window collisions (and here
<http://www.portlandoregon.gov/bps/article/446308>). Scroll all the way
down for many, many good strategies. Note that is very important to have
any deterrent on the *outside* of the glass, not the inside. It has been
found through much research that creating a break in the glare from the
outside works best. Sometimes the results are not pretty, but if it helps
reduce bird deaths, I'm all for it. We recently added Bird Tape to the
outside of our windows in Newport because so many birds were hitting the
glass of our large and small windows. It has been very effective, although
the required 4" vertical spacing looks as if you're in jail. I may try some
different methods that I have read about, including the paracord idea or
the marked window film.

Glad this is up for discussion here. Such an important issue.

Amy Summerfelt