[obol] Re: SW Pine Grosbeak curiosity

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:58:20 -0800

Indeed, I did visit and hike up to the top of Mt Bolivar in SE Coos County on
Friday morning.  It was foggy and windy, although I broke out of the fog at the
summit.  The wind really kept the birds down and prevented me from hearing
much.  Nothing unusual.  I was hoping for Pine Grosbeaks and Cassin's Finches.
Last fall, I found a few Pine Grosbeaks on Grayback Mountain in Josephine
County.  I think I will try for these again in the next few weeks and enlist
the help of other local birders.  There have been recent Pine Grosbeaks on Mt
Ashland, Jackson County.  I haven't checked Curry, but plan to in the next few
weeks.
I wasn't going to report these negative reports, but since I'm typing....
FRIDAY 2/20I didn't refind the Lakeside RUSTY BLACKBIRD in NW Coos County.  It
hasn't been seen in a few weeks.
I didn't refind the ROSS'S GOOSE on Beaver Creek Rd in Lincoln County.  Nor did
I refind the reported ARCTIC LOON under the Yaquina Bay bridge in Newport.
There were an impressive 21 COMMON LOONS in a tight raft there at sunset.
Good birding,Russ Namitz