[obol] Re: Do you have a few million $$ to spare?

  • From: Darrel Faxon <5hats@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 21:57:48 -0800

Paul,
    You forgot three  things:
(1) an on boat supply of dramamine, bonine, wrist bands, and scoplalomine ear patches, (2) an on board heli-pad equipped with helicopter to ferry back to land all those for whom none of item # 1 work, and (3) an on board laugh track which can be broadcast over the speaker to drown out the sniggers of those who have no sympathy for green-faced participants of pelagic trips.
   Might up the price tag, but it would be worth it.

Darrel
On 2/22/2015 9:10 PM, Paul Sullivan wrote:

Saturday I was part of the Oregon Pelagic Tours trip that saw so many Laysan Albatrosses and the Parakeet Auklets. Thanks, Tim, for a good trip. I encourage everyone interested to visit http://www.oregonpelagictours.com/

I also experienced the routine frustration of a one-day pelagic birding trip on a fishing boat:

When a good bird came by the house blocked my view, other passengers kept me from the rail, someone wanted to get by, I had to grab for something to keep from falling, my hat blew off, I got hit by the spray of a big wave, and the bird disappeared behind a swell.

So I want to remedy the situation. I want to build a PELAGIC BIRDING VESSEL.

The hull must be big enough to be stable in moderate swells. The wheelhouse will be on the bottom deck. Above the wheel house will be a bleachers facing forward, 6 seats wide, 6 rows deep, each succeeding row able to see over the one in front. Each seat will be a bucket seat that will swivel 360 degrees, with pockets for your stuff. The front of the ship will have a clear windshield to block spray, with windshield wipers. Everyone can sit for the whole trip, held with a seat belt. The tour guide will have a microphone and a speaker to communicate with the passengers. They’ll also have the use of a closed circuit TV to show birds on a big screen to point out field marks. No one will be blocked by the tall guy in front of him/her. You can see the bird flying above you across the ship.

The chum deck will be behind and below the bleachers.

The power will not be diesel fuel; the exhaust will not vent near the passengers. The hull will have a hydrofoil so that a trip out 30 mile will only take an hour.

Alternatively, you can build a PELAGIC BIRDING PLATFORM out over Perpetua Bank. Equip it with a dock, heliport, lodging, good food and drink, lots of windows, comfortable seating, and plenty of chum to draw birds. Then just ferry participants out to it from Newport with helicopters.

If the benefactor who builds either of these would provide an endowment to maintain its operation, we should be able to keep the price of a day’s birding affordable and draw a regular stream of folks. People could even bring their non-birding family and friends to the platform.

Any takers?

Cheers,  ;-)

Paul Sullivan

---