[obol] Re: Rogue Valley Bar-Headed Goose is Domestic

  • From: "Dennis Vroman" <dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <evan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 16:04:40 -0700

Evan, other e-bird folks,

Personally, I see no reason why a person can not list on e-bird what are
considered "escapees" or other species that likely didn't arrive at a location
on their own (OK, we can exclude those Graylag Geese at the Farmers place).
Last year I listed a drake Mandarin Duck, which may have been an escapee,
however, about 300 or so mile south of Grants Pass, in Sonoma Co, CA, there's a
breeding population of this species. The bird seen could have been fledged
from down that way and arrived in the Rogue Valley on the strong south winds
blowing at the time it was found.

As you mention, bird populations are dynamic and do change over time.

Dennis