[obol] Re: Request for help with grouse ID

  • From: Kevin Spencer <rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 23:39:28 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

As far as I know, the "Blue Grouse" on Winter Rim would be Sooty Grouse. I've encountered them many times there, and in the forest to the west. I have also encountered Sooty Grouse in the North Warners (really just The Warners, but I mean the Oregon portion of the Warner Mountains).

As for the maps ..... I'd say grouse maps for both Ruffed and Sooty are lacking in that part of the state for both Ruffed and Sooty, and maybe the whole state (I can only comment about Klamath and Lake Cos.) and that goes for both National Geographic and Sibley's. Maybe the maps for those grouse didn't receive much attention, due to lack of reports, observations... I don't know. What may have happened is that Breeding Bird Surveys were used, or partly used, as a way to base or outline the margins of presence. With a lack of reporting on BBS for grouse in general it could influence a loss of area where they normally occur. I know hunters could be a good source for knowledge of occurance as they generally are not going to be hunting where there is not any chance of bagging game. Maybe they should be consulted.

The map for Sooty Grouse, in Sibley's Guide, shows a departure towards the west at the CA/OR state line. A more accurate line might be to continue northward with a small peak to include the north end of the Warner Mountains. The map for Oregon could widen its main eastern north-south line, somewhat, to include Winter Rim. North of Winter Rim the habitat really shrinks westward, so including Winter Rim would be a slight adjustment. The National Geographic map appears very similar to the Sibley Guide's Sooty Grouse map. So, that map should consider the same adjustments.

The Ruffed Grouse map in Sibley's Guide appears to make that species look like it is restricted to the coast range in Oregon. I am not familiar enough with Ruffed Grouse statewide to comment for the whole state, but for Klamath County it is a somewhat common species, especially in the deciduous areas around Upper Klamath Lake. That is a unique area admittedly, but it is significant enough that it should have been included in the range map for that species. I have heard of a few Ruffed Grouse being reported in Lake County, scattered, but none for the Warner Mountains. I have not heard of Ruffed Grouse being reported between Upper Klamath Lake and say Gearhart Wilderness (just a place that's east of Klamath Falls that people are familiar with). The reports I've heard were from approx. Gearhart eastward to the westside of Goose Lake Valley. I dont know if those few reports should cause inclusion of that area on a fieldguide range map. But definitely the perimeter of the Upper Klamath Lake area and outward along its tributaries should be included.

The National Geographic map for Ruffed Grouse appears to be accurate for the most part, at the map shows eastward extension into Klamath County. Not including any of Lake County if find, and then encountering one, say in Lake County, being at the edge, or an outlier, would then be significant, and definitely worth reporting, or talking about, especially by a hunter (which is one my sources for Ruffed Grouse in Lake County... about 35 years ago... but I have not encounter Ruffed Grouse in Lake County myself).

I'd say the grouse is a Sooty Grouse, and that both Sibley's and National Geographic's field guides should make some slight adjustments to their Sooty Grouse maps. (and Sibley's map for Ruffed Grouse too).

Good for you, pointing that out.

Kevin Spencer
rriparia@xxxxxxxxxxx
Klamath Falls, OR

I ' on a field trip to the Summer Lake area this weekend (Sat-Tue).  On Sunday, we drove up Winter Ridge to Pioneer Peak, then south along the ridge road (NR26?) to the switchbacks.  While on top of the ridge, we came upon a hen or juvenile grouse sitting in the middle of the road,  Click on the link below for a series of low resolution photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107892236367702076331/albums/6039284676539261153?authkey=CMDqo_P87szkxAE <https://plus.google.com/photos/107892236367702076331/albums/6039284676539261153?authkey=CMDqo_P87szkxAE>

The grouse appeared to be either a sooty or dusky grouse.  We are fairly certain that it wasn't a greater sage-grouse because of our grouse's tail, which was blunt.  Sage-grouse have a long, pointed tail, and they probably wouldn't be found in that habitat.

Sibley 2nd edition field guide range maps don't show either of these "blue" grouse in the Winter Ridge area.  It appears that the sooty grouse doesn't normally come as far east as Winter Ridge, and the dusky grouse is only found in the Enterprise/Joseph area in Oregon.

Can anyone tell us if either (or both) of the sooty or dusky grouse can be found on Winter Ridge?  Also, can anyone venture an opinion on the identity of the grouse in the photos?

Thanks,

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR