[obol] Re: RBA: Long-toed Stint at Nehalem Sewage Ponds NO (details)

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: billstinj@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 20:40:39 -0700

On Jul 23, 2014, at 3:11 PM, James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> While not the best shorebirder I drove up from Tillamook after I read the
> report and found no Stint, but I did relocate the three pectoral sandpipers,
> a spotted sandpiper, 1 western and 3 leasts. I took really long looks at the
> leasts but wasn't able to differentiate any of the markers that David pointed
> out, or anything that I studied up on in O'Brien's The Shorebird Guide.
> However, as I was leaving a flock of 6 peeps flushed and flew out of sight to
> the restricted area of the ponds (I was observing the 3 pectoral sandpipers
> on the other end.)
>
> I don't think my failure definitively means anything. I may run back there
> again this evening.
>
> Good Chasing
>
> James

I detoured to Nehalem on my way from Portland to Nachotta.  I was there at just
after 6 PM.  The gate was locked.  Presumably they lock it when there are no
employees present.  I have an old key to the facility from years ago, but I
doubt it works on the subject lock, or that I should use it now without
reminding them.  In any case, don't expect access during non-business hours.

Jeff Gilligan