[obol] Request for help with grouse ID

  • From: Tim Johnson <tim.the.fisherman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 09:06:27 -0700

Hi all:

A group of us from Salem Audubon went on a field trip to the Summer Lake
area this weekend (Sat-Tue).  On Sunday, we drove up Winter Ridge to
Pioneer Peak, then south along the ridge road (NR26?) to the switchbacks.
While on top of the ridge, we came upon a hen or juvenile grouse sitting in
the middle of the road,  Click on the link below for a series of low
resolution photos.

https://plus.google.com/photos/107892236367702076331/albums/6039284676539261153?authkey=CMDqo_P87szkxAE

The grouse appeared to be either a sooty or dusky grouse.  We are fairly
certain that it wasn't a greater sage-grouse because of our grouse's tail,
which was blunt.  Sage-grouse have a long, pointed tail, and they probably
wouldn't be found in that habitat.

Sibley 2nd edition field guide range maps don't show either of these "blue"
grouse in the Winter Ridge area.  It appears that the sooty grouse doesn't
normally come as far east as Winter Ridge, and the dusky grouse is only
found in the Enterprise/Joseph area in Oregon.

Can anyone tell us if either (or both) of the sooty or dusky grouse can be
found on Winter Ridge?  Also, can anyone venture an opinion on the identity
of the grouse in the photos?

Thanks,

Tim Johnson
Salem, OR