[obol] Re: [RV Birds] JoCo Clay-colored Sparrow

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 15:38:32 -0700

I was fortuitously on my way to the Oregon Birding Association Conference and I
was passing Grants Pass when Dennis posted this bird. I was able to read find
it and photograph it. Thanks Dennis!

 The shutoff valve / red flag that Dennis spoke of is in front of some bamboo.
The bird was foraging with other sparrows on the south side of the canal in a
brush pile in the middle of a residential lawn.  Use discretion when pointing
optics!  The bird also flew to the blackberry patch to both the east & west of
lawn.

Good luck,
Russ

From: dpvroman@xxxxxxxxxx
To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; rv-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RV Birds] JoCo Clay-colored Sparrow
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 14:37:50 -0700

Early this afternoon (09-25-14) along the
irrigation channel east of the Grants Pass Grange Co-op buildings, there was a
CLAY-COLORED SPARROW.  About a 1/4 mile down the roadway along the
channel (a shut-off value with a red tag was near this location).  It was
north of the channel (which is flowing) at the end of a stringer of
Cottonwoods,
willows and blackberries with good sized short-cropped fields on each side of
it.

Quite a surprise for me.  The bird was first
seen facing me and about 25 feet away.  The buffy-brown ear-patch was
pretty distinct and obvious.  It caught my eye right away and it was
outlined above and below with a somewhat darker brown.  Malar stripes
were present, but not to obvious, throat was light-colored and breast area
was a light buffy-brown.  Had a dull rufous-color crown and no outstanding
median stripe.  Didn't get a look at the nape, for it remained facing me
until it retreated into the brush and trees.  Believe it was an adult in
non-breeding plumage.

Walk further out the roadway and upon returning I
managed to relocate it in the same area along the fenceline, only it was more
distant.  It appeared to have just taken a bath, for it was roughing
up its feather and its wings were drooped.   It was more broadside and
had an overall buffy coloration.  Could see its rump...and it was
buffy-brown, not a Chipper for sure.  The bird then fly more to the
east.  Not sure if it will hang around or not.

Dennis (north of Grants
Pass)

---

"Rogue Valley Birds" group.