[obol] Re: Purple Finch Migration

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "joel.geier@xxxxxxxx" <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>, "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:16:41 -0700 (PDT)

Wow Joel,

It is amazing the difference between the valley and west of the Coast Range
crest.  Purple Finches are absent on the west side of the Coast Range in the
winter, I have hardly ever seen them up there in the winter, where I work year
round, in the 20+ years I have been working in the Coast Range.  They are
scarce in the coastal lowlands most winters, except at feeders, where they are
easiest to find. Numbers increase in mid-March and this is one of the more
common breeding species in forested areas along the coast and up into the Coast
Range.

Anyhow, the time I most often see them on the coast is in the summer, just the
oposite of what Joel describes of them in the valley.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay