[obol] Purple Finch Migration

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <garbledmodwit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2013 18:49:37 -0700 (PDT)

I noticed several folks saying yes, they have had Purple Finches at their
feeders all winter, this is normal.  Purple Finches overwinter in small numbers
(on the south coast it is possible to miss them on the CBC), perhaps more
common in the valley. In about mid- to late March, in areas where they are
absent in winter, they suddenly show up singing in numbers, such as the north
spit of Coos Bay.  Thus, those of you who have overwintering birds, may need to
see a sudden increase in numbers to note migrants, that is, if migrants use
feeders? In the past 10+ years they would be completely absent out on the north
spit of Coos Bay and then suddenly in late March, I would notice them
everywhere singing.  Kind of like the Yellow-rumps. They are around in the
south coast in big numbers all winter (mostly Myrtles but some Audubons also),
about early-to mid-April all the sudden huge waves of bright Audubons show up
singing- migration time!  I have seen endless
 flocks of Audubons at New River, Coos (coastal) in mid-April (literally
hundreds and hundreds of birds streaming by in a few minute period)- a most
impressive migration.

Anyhow, that is what I have noticed on the south coast- I am always envious of
folks who have Purple as well as House Finches at their south coast winter
feeders.

Tim R
Coos Bay