[obol] Re: Ovenbird in Laurelhurst?

  • From: "Craig Tumer" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:58:01 -0700

 Ovenbirds typically walk with their tails cocked.  That, com= bined with
thedescription of black streaks on breast, orangey crown, and p= ink legs,
isperfect for ovenbird and not a good match for any of our regul= arly
occurring birds with spotted or streaked breasts.  In the East, o= venbirds
are regularly found lingering north of where they should be (often= in areas
where winter weather is much less mild than Portland) into early = winter,
and they sometimes overwinter. These lingering/overwintering birds = are
often found because they're in residential areas. This report sounds pe=
rfectly plausible to me.
Unfortunately, ovenbirds = often stay in dense vegetation, and they're
quiet,unobtrusive and difficul= t to locate when they're not singing.  This
bird will likely be diffic= ult to relocate.
Craig TumerPortland
-------- Original Me= ssage --------
Subject: [obol] Ovenbird in Laurelhurst?
From: Alan = Contreras <aco= ntrer56@xxxxxxxxx[1]>
Date: Fri, January 11, 2013 8:34 am
To: &= lt;obol@freelists.o= rg[2]>
An Ovenbird wintered in Ashland a few years back. The p= hotos show it
walking about in the snow. It is a fairly distinctive spe= cies. Check it
out.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

The days are getting lon= ger. Really.

On 1/11/13 7:19 AM, "Norgren Family" &= lt;gnorgren@ear= thlink.net[5]>
wrote:

>Begin forwarded me= ssage:
>
>>I believe HERMIT THRUSHES have pale legs?
= >>And they are quite variable in plumage. I
>>can't speci= fically account for the orangey
>>crown, but some Hermits show a= lot more
>>contrast than others on their backsides. And
&gt= ;> don't FOX SPARROWS have pale legs? And plumage
>>variabili= ty comparable to Hermits?
>>A friend of mine at SE 41st and Stee= le (also
>>Portland)had her cat bring in an OVENBIRD in
>= >July of 1982. So as always, I don't mean to be
>>dismissive= . She promptly called the PAS and
>>unfortunately it wasn't Marc= ia that answered
>>the phone. The lady that day said,"Oh, you've=
>>got a Ruby-crowned Kinglet." In July? In SE
>>Port= land? I think Ovenbird more likely.
>>Lars
>>On Jan = 10, 2013, at 10:01 PM, Marcia Marvin wrote:
>>
>>>= OBOL -
>>>
>>>I received this report while I wa= s answering the phone at Portland
>>>Audubon Society this afte= rnoon.
>>>
>>>A woman called to report an Ovenb= ird in her yard. She has never seen
>>>one and had looked at t= he bird book, She said it had black streaks on
>>>its breast, = an orangey crown, and pink legs and it stays on the ground.
>>&gt= ; It holds its tail up. It has been in the yard for several days. I
&gt= ;>>asked for an approximate location and she said NE 41st and Davis. =
It
>>>seems likely that if she sees people with binoculars in = her
>>>neighborhood, she will introduce herself.
>>&= gt;
>>>Good birding!
>>>
>>>Marc= ia
>>>

>>>--