[obol] Re: Ovenbird in Laurelhurst?

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 17:31:34 +0000

Greetings All,

As Alan Contreras points out, we should operate on the assumption that the
reported Ovenbird is an Ovenbird. After a reading a report from Paul Lehman
(forwarded from Shawneen) that mentioned 22 species of warblers in San Diego
County so far this winter, I went through the list of warbler species that have
wintered or at least been found in Oregon Dec-Feb. It's 25 species by my count,
including the Ovenbird that Alan references. More often than not, overwintering
(out of season) warblers are found in residential areas, where food sources and
warmer micro-climates are readily available. I may have missed something, but
here's a list of the warblers that I know of that have been found in Oregon in
winter. I've been fortunate enough to see 16 of these species in winter.

Ovenbird
Louisiana Waterthrush
Black-and-white Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler