[obol] Northern Goshawk

  • From: linda phelan thompson <lindaphelanlmt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2014 19:18:42 -0700

I'm pretty sure I saw a Goshawk this morning in Tigard, it looked exactly
like the photos, except that it didn't show the flight pattern of the
accipiters. It circled over a large lawn/golf course, wings flapping
languidly, rhythmically, not the flap, flap, glide that I would expect. I
saw it three times at pretty close range, and it dove into a water feature
at one point, not coming up with anything. Amazingly, a family of mallard
ducklings were not in sight during any of it's searches.

This bird was dark grey on top, very light underneath, and had all the
facial markings of the Goshawk. Any ideas out there for the relaxed wing
beats, was it because it was circling, searching, and not trying to get
somewhere?

--

*Linda Lee*