[obol] Re: Mystery Peep

  • From: Grant Canterbury <grantandstacy17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:07:49 -0700

Rhett's note reminded me that I had not had a chance to post about my visit
to Fernhill Wetlands Sunday morning.  There were about 40 Least and 150+
Western Sandpipers, among which was one juvenile peep that I watched for 10
minutes and I'm fairly confident was Semipalmated.  While I watched this
bird was hanging out with the flock of Least Sandpipers up on the mudflat,
rather than with the Westerns that were more out by the water.  Quite short
straight bill, shorter than any of the Westerns and I think on the smaller
end of the Semipalmated range (male?).  Quite pale overall, with
predominantly pale scaly grayish wings - a light touch of rust on the edge
of one or two scapular feathers, but that was it, much less extensive than
on the Westerns.  The shape and posture were interesting, not mousy and
crouching like the Leasts around it or head forward and up like the
Westerns, but compact, a bit plump, with a more neutral posture.  Size
similar or slightly larger than the Leasts; legs black.

Less unusual but more spectacular was the large flock of White Pelicans
that was actively foraging a mere 50 feet from the blind on the second
pond; excellent views of how they used the pouch in feeding, and some
rather squirrely, bickering social interactions between neighboring birds.

Visit summary at

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 16:09:54 -0700
Subject: [obol] Mystery Peep
From: Rhett Wilkins <rhettwilkins@xxxxxxxxx>

While I feel I should be experienced enough to know this stuff, the peeps
have done it to me again.  I just returned from Broughton Beach in Portland
where I photographed several Leasts and Westerns, but there's one bird that
I'm desperately trying to turn into a long-billed Semipalmated Sandpiper.
My hunch is that it is a light-colored, short-billed male Western
Sandpiper, but my head is spinning after scrutinizing the birds both in
person and by photos.

--
Grant Canterbury
<grantandstacy17@xxxxxxxxx>