[obol] Re: Mystery Peep

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 22:37:49 -0700

Rhett, you said:
"...for any "lurkers" and/or beginners out there wanting the full
conversation and
consensus on this bird, it's a lightly-colored, fairly short-billed Western
juvenile."

Perhaps I'm missing something. I looked at these photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9604076788/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9604101582/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/boundtobird/9600860303/

These photos, to me, look like a normally colored juv Western Sandpiper,
not lightly-colored, and with a noticeably long bill. I would guess it was
a female; certainly in the range for one.

Compare the "lightness" and short bill length of this juv Western Sandpiper
from the Umpqua Estuary a few days ago:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/9590772493/. Without doubt,
they (w sand's bills) get even shorter than this. This juv has a few basic
gray feathers mixed in; I see one scapular and a few mantle feathers.

This makes me curious, do you have photos of the "7 or 8 westerns around
it"????

Regards,

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR