[obol] Re: More Eugene Migrants

  • From: Larry McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 22:39:23 -0700

Related to this, waaaay  back in the 70s, I would encounter Nashvilles
practically filling the understory in Hendrick’s Park.  Coleen Sweeney (she
left us with fond memories) witnessed a fantastic fallout early on the morning
of 5/7/75 at Judkin’s Point (near Hendrick’s Park overlooking the river).  A
wave she said “you wouldn’t believe was pouring over the top of the cliff in
the early sunlight and passing over Birch Lane into the foliage of the hilltop.
Mostly warblers and hummingbirds. Most of the warblers were Nashville.”  The
following morning Nashvilles were gone from the area, including the rest of
Hendrick’s Park, but Townsends and Black-throated Grays were plentiful.  It
seemed to me that Nashvilles would have their own flock and although, they
would accompany a mixed wave, they moved through a different layer of foliage,
which tended to be lower (admittedly based on a few impressions).  Since those
heady 70’s, I haven’t heard of or seen a Nashville migration that would
resemble these and that has been a mystery to me.

My notes indicate waves of Nashville from ’69 to ’84, with 19 at Skinner’s
Butte on 4/26/84.  4/18 would be an arrival date.  In the fall (7/31/78) there
was a cluster of them at the start of the Alton-Baker canoe channel, including
6 in one tree.  No other warbler species with them.  This river spot is not
known for groups of Nashvilles at any time.

Things change, and usually, we never know the reason.  But it could simply be
that there was not a birder at the right spot at the right time!

Larry