[obol] Marion Co Detroit Flats Flycatchers, others

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:18:52 -0700

I got lucky with a nice break in the weather late this morning, with the sun
out for a half hour and calm, at Detroit Flats.  In the warmth, the joint was
jumping.  There were at least 5 Empids, 3 were clearly GRAY FLYCATCHERS with
their distinctive gentle tail dropping/wagging without wing flicks, and one was
calling.  This is the 10 day window for the species at Detroit Flats where they
show up every year in late April,  the Flats being the small end of the funnel
taking eastside birds from west to east in migration.  The other 2 (and I am
hesitant to ID Empids when not on territory), I am calling DUSKY FLYCATCHERS.
Noticeably round headed, long tailed, and I clearly heard Dusky like, not
Hammond like, call notes.  Overall a little yellower than the Grays.  I saw
nothing that reminded me of Willow Flycatchers.Two LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, 2
CINNAMON TEAL, and a few YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS were there.  My FOY HOUSE WREN
showed up.Earlier, I took a side trip up French Creek Rd and then NF 2225 and
saw 2 TOWNSEND'S SOLITAIRES.  A female RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD was picking gnats out
of the air in some sheltered space in the brief sunlight on the cliff below the
Solitaires, and a female SOOTY GROUSE at 2300'.  She flew up into a Douglas fir
and gave me good looks.I plan to return to Detroit on Monday, this being the
good time to visit there.  I can take 1 or 2 people along, I'll leave around 8
or so.  If interested, email or call me at 503-589-4636.Roy Gerig, Salem OR