[obol] Lookingglass Painted Bunting & Canary

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 21:01:05 -0700

HI Folks,

I have added another 24 photos from the homeowner/observer of the Aug 16
Painted Bunting from Lookingglass to the set on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157635287515375/

I received several private messages from people who have raised Canaries,
and they say the yellow bird is most definitely a Canary. One person
specified a lightly red factored canary, making the yellow canary slightly
peachy as the observer noted.

Opinions vary on the origin of the bunting (wild vs escaped). No surprise.
I'm going to continue to investigate how frequently Painted Buntings are
kept or raised as caged birds in the U.S., legally or illegally. As of yet
I have very little information. If you have any info or leads, I would
appreciate a pointer.

Wild and beautiful would be great with me, especially if it showed up
again! :-) What an eye-popper here in the Northwest!

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR