[obol] Malheur HQ 8/27; Lake Abert devoid of birds

  • From: Christopher Hinkle <christopher.hinkle2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 20:39:25 -0700

On our way back home through eastern Oregon we stopped at Malheur HQ on
8/27. There was a good number of birds present, including an American
Redstart, a Gray Catbird, 2 Red-shouldered Hawks, and many common migrants.

A few distant photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80672850@N02/9630334297/in/photostream/

The Narrows had 13 species of shorebirds including a calling Short-billed
Dowitcher.

Lake Abert was devoid of birds--the brine shrimp/brine fly population must
have crashed. Excluding a couple thousand avocets we saw only a few hundred
birds, maybe 0.1% of the numbers we had there in late July.

Good Birding,

Christopher and Adrian Hinkle