[obol] Re: Lincoln Co birding 4/19 [& eBird]

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:26:21 -0700

Hi all,

There have been many emails about whether the April 19 report of the
Semipalmated Plover in Lincoln County was early; Dave Lauten's & Jamie
Simmon's are included below as item #3.

What has been overlooked in the OBOL conversation about the April 19
Semipalmated Plover is that eBird tagged this report as rare (see #1 &
#2 below), and this with other Oregon eBird rarities was posted to
OBOL as rare on April 21 (see #2 below).

As has been discussed before on OBOL, what is rare to eBird may not
actually be rare or unseasonal--more work needs to be done with eBird
filters.  And this is the case with the April 19 Semipalmated Plover.
For Lincoln County records prior to 1993, there have been Semipalmated
Plover records each month of the year, with the fewest records in
summer and winter; they were most frequent in April-May and
July-September
(http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/8070/vol.%204%20pg.%20395-543.pdf).
 To my knowledge, there have been no nesting records of Semi's in
Lincoln County; like Dave Lauten has pointed out, there have been
nesting records in Coos County (also see p. 206 of Birds of Oregon: a
General Reference)..

Semipalmated Plover records appear to have declined in recent years in
Lincoln County, but they are still not what I consider rare in Lincoln
County, and there have been additional reports here this April.  I do
not consider April 19 to even be rare in Lincoln County for spring
migrants (see records prior to 1993).

eBird is a wonderful resource for which I am grateful, but for eBird
to be improved (which it has the capability of doing), problems with
eBird rarity filters need to be pointed out and acknowledged.

Cheers,

Range Bayer, Newport

1)  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <ebird-alert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM
Subject: [eBird Alert] Lincoln Rare Bird Alert <hourly>

*** Species Summary:
- Semipalmated Plover (2 reports)
Thank you for subscribing to the <hourly> Lincoln Rare Bird Alert. The
report below shows observations of rare birds in Lincoln.  View this
alert on the web at http://ebird.org/ebird/alert/summary?sid=SN39373

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (1)
- Reported Apr 19, 2014 14:41 by Jamie Simmons
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6231604,-124.0434766&ll=44.6231604,-124.0434766
- Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17989815
- Comments: "Not rare."

Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus) (1)
- Reported Apr 19, 2014 14:41 by Oscar Harper
- Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center, Lincoln, Oregon
- Map:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&t=p&z=13&q=44.6231604,-124.0434766&ll=44.6231604,-124.0434766
- Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17989763
- Comments: "Not rare."

2)  ---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Treesa Hertzel <Autumn207@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Subject: [obol] [eBird Alert] Oregon Rare Bird Alert <daily>
To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*** Species Summary:
Graylag Goose (1 Lane)
Chukar (1 Klamath)
White-faced Ibis (1 Washington)
Black-necked Stilt (1 Marion)
Snowy Plover (1 Deschutes)
Semipalmated Plover (4 Lincoln)
Whimbrel (1 Klamath)
Vaux's Swift (1 Klamath)
Northern Flicker (intergrade) (1 Crook)
Dusky Flycatcher (1 Klamath, 2 Multnomah)
Western Kingbird (1 Gilliam)
Cassin's Vireo (1 Klamath)
Warbling Vireo (1 Benton, 1 Josephine, 2 Multnomah)
Swainson's Thrush (1 Lane)
Nashville Warbler (1 Klamath)
MacGillivray's Warbler (1 Hood River)
Hermit Warbler (1 Jackson, 4 Lincoln)
Brewer's Sparrow (1 Washington)
Black-headed Grosbeak (1 Linn)
Lazuli Bunting (1 Josephine)

3)  On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 3:55 PM, DJ Lauten and KACastelein