[obol] Jill is getting competitive

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 18:29:26 -0800

She unearthed a childhood journal today while helping her mother sort
through a few belongings.  It is a detailed account of 5 days of looking
for birds at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in May of 1973. I was
happy that 42 years later I was able to correct what was an obvious mistake
- I mean really, who's ever heard of a Marsh Hawk?

The bad news for me came when I read her description of a Marbled Godwit,
not to be mistaken with the (perhaps) more well known Garbledmodwit that is
endemic to the southern coast of Oregon.

Her life list just eclipsed mine - I better find that Spotted Owl soon.

--
Jack Williamson
West Linn, Oregon