[obol] It pegs the question.....

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:21:10 -0700

just where did this Rustic Bunting spend the winter...????

We spent the day along New River Coos Cty and Curry Cty and had good sized flocks of shorebirds screaming by all day. Not huge groups nor really large flocks, but definitely a push. Saw only one SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER, but honestly when it is this nice and light west breeze I think a lot of the flocks aren't right on the beach but could be over the ocean, so we might miss the larger shorebirds. There was a nice flock of 1000 shorebirds at the mouth of China Creek in Bandon mid afternoon - a mix of Semipalmated Plovers, Western Sandpipers which dominated, Dunlin, Sanderling, Least's and Black-bellied Plovers were more common today. Saw some Whimbrels today also. And of course Snowy Plovers......

Cheers
Dave Lauten and Kathy Castelein
Bandon OR