[obol] ID help with Empid @ Malheur HQ

  • From: "Garlick, Niels" <garlickn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:18:29 -0700

Image here:
http://i.imgur.com/5zEl4mQ.jpg

The bird was deep in some vegetation, so the picture had to be considerably
lightened.  This was the best shot I got, and it did not vocalize while I
was watching.

I know Empids can be rough, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to
give me some pointers on this one (or can tell me if it's a hopeless cause
to begin with).  I was leaning towards Hammond's, based on the primary
projection, the gray throat, and the bill color/size.  eBird seems to want
me to call it a Pacific-slope, but the bill just seems all wrong to my
(admittedly Empid inexperienced) eyes.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

- Niels G.