[obol] Re: ID help with Empid @ Malheur HQ

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>, "garlickn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <garlickn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 05:45:23 +0000

For all the reasons already mentioned, this is definitely a Hammond's.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

Subject: [obol] Re: ID help with Empid @ Malheur HQ
From: jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 18:26:07 -0700
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: garlickn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The short bill,  round large-headed appearance, short tail, and fairly long
primary extension indicate it is a Hammond's Flycatcher, which is often the
first of the empids to occur in Oregon.

On Apr 23, 2014, at 5:18 PM, "Garlick, Niels" <garlickn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:Image here:  http://i.imgur.com/5zEl4mQ.jpg The bird was deep in some
vegetation, so the picture had to be considerably lightened.  This was the best
shot I got, and it did not vocalize while I was watching.
 I know Empids can be rough, but I was wondering if anyone would be able to
give me some pointers on this one (or can tell me if it's a hopeless cause to
begin with).  I was leaning towards Hammond's, based on the primary projection,
the gray throat, and the bill color/size.  eBird seems to want me to call it a
Pacific-slope, but the bill just seems all wrong to my (admittedly Empid
inexperienced) eyes.
 Thanks for any advice you can give!   - Niels G.