[obol] Grouse near The Dalles?

  • From: Rob Neyer <rneyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 17:24:36 -0700

Hey, this is almost an Oregon question ...

Last weekend I was hiking with a group in Dalles Mountain Ranch State Park,
just across the Columbia from The Dalles. During the hike to the top --
amazing view from up there, by the way -- I was sort of lagging behind
because I kept stopping for birds. At one point I looked up, and realized
that the hikers ahead had flushed a pair of something.

When I caught up to our leader a bit later, he said, "Did you see those
grouse we flushed?"

Me: "Yeah, but I just figured they were meadowlarks."

Him: "No, they were definitely grouse. They just exploded."

Which of course is what grouse do. And quail, but these weren't quail.

So here's my question: If they were grouse, what kind? Literally none of
the range maps in the new Sibley show grouse in Washington, just north of
The Dalles. And if not grouse, what might they have been?