[obol] Hutton's Vireo song: ID help please!

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Janet Leavens <janet.leavens1@xxxxxxxxx>, Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 17:41:12 -0700

Hi Janet (and anyone else who isn't currently chasing the Red-throated
Pipit),

Since 95% of Oregon's top birders are probably overwhelming the septic
systems around Lake Selmac right now, I will try to respond.

It is really hard to judge bird songs from a written description.
Hutton's Vireos have a very monotonous song (just "zu-weeep, ....
zu-weeep" over and over, and extremely regular). The variability that
you describe, and the similarity to Red-eyed Vireo that you mention,
makes me think that you were more likely hearing a Western Purple Finch.
They are indeed less burry sounding than, say, Cassin's Vireo.

Hopefully this is not too much of a downer, since you still have a
couple of very cool lifers to celebrate today (Varied Thrush and
Red-breasted Sapsucker). And I could very well be wrong, since it's hard
to go from a written description. If you can find a way to send me the
sound file, I'll give it another shot.

Good birding,
Joel