[obol] Hutton's Vireo song? ID help please!

  • From: Janet Leavens <janet.leavens1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 19:30:14 -0400

Hi all,

Out at Mr. Tabor Park today, I heard what I'm about 99% positive was a
vireo singing. I wasn't sure which kind, so I made 2 recordings with my
iTalk app. Ideally, I'd upload the audio files, but each time I've tried to
do this the file loses volume somehow and becomes inaudible. So, I'll just
try my best to describe  the recordings I have.

The song went on for a very long time (> 1 minute each time) and was
composed of short or very short evenly spaced phrases. So far so good for
Hutton's Vireo. However, the songs I recorded differed from all the songs
I've heard of this species (I listened to about 30+ on xeno-canto and
Macaulay library this afternoon) in a couple of  ways:

First, the tempo of the song seemed slower. The phrases had about 2 seconds
of silence in between them, whereas the Hutton's Vireo's song seems more
hurried.

Second, although all the phrases had little pitch variation, they were not
all the same. Some moved up a little; Some moved down a little; Some moved
sideways (up then down then back); Some phrases had 3 distinct notes
(see-oo-ee); Some had two and some had only one slightly slurred note. In
each case, it seems as if the syllables got simpler as the song went along.
Towards the end of each song, there were mostly just slurred down and
sounded exactly like Hutton's Vireo phrases. It was almost as if it was a
Hutton's Vireo that was trying to sound like a more musical vireo then
gradually giving up as the song proceeded. It also sounded a little bit
like a very lazy, unmusical Red-eyed Vireo.

Oh yes, ... and there were no burry notes in the song -- they were all
clear.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Janet Leavens