[obol] Varied Thrush: Success!!

  • From: Janet Leavens <janet.leavens1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:58:49 -0400

Hi all,

I'm happy to say that I've had a wonderful day seeing and hearing Varied
Thrushes at Mt. Tabor Park. I'll probably wind up eBirding 20 to 25 of them
-- there were that many!

I got out there before 1st light ... at 6:50 am. Within about 10-15 minutes
-- as dawn began to break -- I started to hear first, House Finches flying
over, then, a tiny bit later, Dark-eyed Juncos and Golden-crowned Kinglets
calling. But where were the thrushes?!

Then, I heard: "Spronnnnng" and another "Spronnnnng," and many more
"Spronngggs".  At last! However, each time I'd head over toward a group,
they seemed to fall silent and I'd hear a lot of calling about 100 yards
off in the opposite direction. So, I head over there and they'd call from
somewhere else. This went on for about 45 minutes, until I decided to tick
VATH as "heard only" and just have fun birding.

Then, around 8:30 am, I found a medium-sized deciduous tree (sorry, I suck
at tree IDs) in amongst lots of tall conifers (to the Northeast of the
large oval reservoir) with lots of activity -- Golden-crowned Kinglets and
... medium-sized birds which did not look like Robins. Bingo!! My first
Varied Thrush sighting, followed quickly by ay least 6 more VATH sightings
all in the same area. I seem to have hit a motherlode of VATH activity.
When I circled back to this area in the early afternoon they were still
active and visible.

Thanks so much to the approximately *30 people* who responded to my query!
You guys are great!

In addition to Varied Thrush, I also had a 2nd lifer: Red-breasted
Sapsucker. I'm pretty sure I also heard a Hutton's Vireo, but upon
listening to the recordings I made, I'm not 100% sure. But I think I'll ask
about this in a separate post.

Thanks again,

Janet Leavens
Oviedo, FL