[obol] Slate-colored Junco at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 18:06:31 -0700

Hi all,

I haven't seen many reports so far of Slate-colored Juncos in the
Willamette Valley. Even though these are not birds that get many birders
excited, my view is that they tend to herald the arrival of other
sparrows from the middle part of the continent, such as American Tree
Sparrows.

Today at E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area I found a female/hatch-year
Slate-colored Junco. She seemed to be all on her own, apart from
chickadees and kinglets (which was unusual in my experience). I've
posted a more detailed report on the Midvalley birding list and on
www.birdnotes.net.

Good birding,
Joel

P.S. Hurray for Nina Pham!

--
Joel Geier
Camp Adair area north of Corvallis

Sent from my home computer; who's buying your vote?
http://gov.oregonlive.com/election/2014/finance/measure-92/