[obol] Fwd: Wednesday bird list

  • From: Donald Schrouder <dcsbird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 16:20:52 -0700

From: Dennis Arendt <dennisarendt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Wednesday bird list
Date: March 27, 2013 1:00:17 PM PDT
To: Don Schrouder <dcsbird@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Eugene's Wednesday bird group went to the Delta Ponds expecting rain and fog
this morning.  After a few sprinkles it turned warm and the sun was out as we
finished.  Our best bird was a "Common Teal", male, seen in the large pond
through which the elevated trail passes.  We saw 55 species, including uncommon
White-fronted Geese and a singing White-breasted Nuthatch.  We walked along the
river and crossed over Goodpasture Island Road to the ponds near the Delta
Expressway.  Here is our list.

Greater White-fronted Goose - five

Cackling Goose - one large flock flying over

Canada Goose - many scattered throughout the ponds

Wood Duck - several

Gadwall

Mallard

Northern Shoveler

Green-winged Teal - one Common Teal male.

Ring-necked Duck

Lesser Scaup - a dozen or so on the river

Bufflehead

Hooded Merganser - one female

Common Merganser - a few on the river

Double-crested Cormorant

Great Blue Heron - mostly on or near nests

Great Egret - one

Osprey - one

Bald Eagle - one flying over

Red-tailed Hawk

Killdeer

Spotted Sandpiper - one on the river

Greater Yellowlegs - one or two

Long-billed Dowitcher - 150 or so

Wilson’s Snipe - one

Glaucous-winged Gull - five flying over

Rock Pigeon

Mourning Dove

Anna’s Hummingbird - a couple

Rufous Hummingbird - a couple males in the current blossoms

Downy Woodpecker

Northern Flicker

Black Phoebe - two

Western Scrub-Jay

American Crow

Tree Swallow - a small group

Violet-green Swallow - a small group

Black-capped Chickadee

Bushtit - many in pairs and one nest being built

White-breasted Nuthatch - one singing at the top of a tree

Brown Creeper

Bewick’s Wren

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - very common early in the day

American Robin

European Starling

Orange-crowned Warbler - two early

Yellow-rumped Warbler - common

Fox Sparrow - one

Song Sparrow

Lincoln’s Sparrow - one

White-crowned Sparrow

Golden-crowned Sparrow

Dark-eyed Junco

House Finch

Lesser Goldfinch

House Sparrow

Judy and Steve, Dave Jones, Dave Brown, Fred Chancey, Sylvia Maulding, Jim
Regali, Don Schrouder and Dennis Arendt