[obol] Fwd: Obol, recreational or scientific? From The Moderator.........

  • From: DJ Lauten and KACastelein <deweysage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2014 16:08:32 -0700

Hello Obolites,

So, I got this email today (below) from a relatively new OBOLer.

1) Sad that some people refuse to contribute to OBOL.

2) Sad that they won't because apparently we have a reputation for being "grouchy people".

I will say that not contributing to OBOL because you think some of us are "grouchy" is a bit defeating. Just because some politicians are grouchy doesn't mean we shouldn't participate. Maybe if these folks contributed more it wouldn't be such a grouchy place. Be the change you seek.

But with that said, maybe the heavy weights involved here ought to check themselves at the OBOL door and try a little harder not to be grouchy. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.

And maybe this is all like the fog blowing past my house right now. It will come and go and form and reform and evaporate, over and over again. Eventually the sun shines through.

Carry on,

Cheers
Dave Lauten
OBOL moderator

I would have to assume it is no secret that many birders read obol but shy away from posting due to the attitudes of some of the participants. I am new to birding and have posted some pretty silly questions. Not once have I been chastised, but the main debates seem to be between experienced people. When I am out birding I almost always ask other birders what they have seen, what they might be looking for. When I have asked if they frequent obol I have gotten mostly eye rolling about grouchy people. I personally know people that are intimidated and do not post even though they have valid questions. I sometimes post for other people because of that.

Then there are people like Bob archer who challenged me to determine what type of hawk I had submitted a photograph of and explain my reasoning. I loved that response, a natural teacher. It was a cooper's, not a sharpie and he explained why after I had sent him my reasoning.

I guess the reason I am writing this is to try and find a way to keep obol positive and encourage recreational birders like me. I do like many of the more serious post and scientific nature of much of obol but some dissuade people from participating.

Not my place to say any of this really, please don't take offense. I have had a great time recently finding new places and new birds and would love to encourage more people to get involved.

I have gone out birding with very knowledgeably person, one of the most prolific posters on Ebird and he reads obol, but I have seen only one posting from him. He said he doesn't post because of the attitude of some people. He would benefit obol with his knowledge.