[obol] Re: Finding a Varied Thrush in the Portland area: not as easy as I thought!

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: janet.leavens1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 20:56:47 -0700

Hi Janet,

Too bad you are in Portland and not here in Corvallis. Right now, Varied
Thrushes are THICK in the Coast Range south and west of town. The best time
is early in the morning - we literally have to dodge dozens of them on the
forest roads around Alsea Falls. But even a drive up Marys Peak on a paved
road will usually result in dozens, if not 100s of VATHs, if you can beat
the traffic there (just before sunrise is best!).

In addition, Marys Peak is a great place to find Sooty Grouse and Mountain
Quail, and on a clear day you can enjoy a gorgeous view!

Good luck in your quest

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*