[obol] Fern Ridge Sharp-tailed Sandpiper, Am. Golden-Plover continue

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 15:19:04 -0700

Hello folks,

Oscar Harper, Stephan Nance and I joined John Sullivan, Barry McKenzie,
Paul Sullivan and others at the Fisher Unit of Fern Ridge Reservoir this
sunny morning to look for the previously reported SHARP-TAILED SANDPIPER
and other shorebirds. After scanning the mudflats for quite a while, we
finally discovered the Sharp-tailed in the company of several PECTORAL
SANDPIPERS, but if was a long ways out, and the increasing heat distortion
prevented us from getting decent looks or photos.

Other shorebirds present included one AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER, a couple
dozen BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS, numerous KILLDEER, a few GREATER and at least
3 LESSER YELLOWLEGS, 80+ LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and a couple of 100 peeps
(mostly WESTERN SANDPIPERS, with a few LEAST mixed in), plus 1 (or possibly
2) DUNLIN.

While trying to relocate the Sharp-tail, we enjoyed the antics of a RIVER
OTTER in the shallow water.

On the way out, Oscar, Stephen and I spotted a lone BLUE-WINGED TEAL with a
small group of Green-wings.

A great morning to be out and about!

Happy fall migration

Hendrik

--
Hendrik G. Herlyn

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*