[obol] False-alarm Thrush and other yard birds

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 08:50:05 -0700

Earlier this morning, I noticed a thrush with some buff coloring on the
throat eating ivy berries in my neighbor's yard.  I initially thought that
I had lucked out with an early Swainson's.  However, subsequent looks and
photos showed too much white on the breast, too much red on the tail, and
too much wing-flicking.  Oh well, HERMIT THRUSH is still a nice yard bird.
 While getting photos of this bird, I spotted a LINCOLN'S SPARROW in the
neighbor's shrubs.  Other notables included OC WARBLER, RC KINGLET, and a
STELLER'S JAY (the latter is only present in my 'hood during migration).

Yesterday evening, I heard a few EVENING GROSBEAKS about a block down.
 They typically visit my neighbor's cluster of silver maples in late
March/early April, but have not yet done so this year.

Brandon
Eugene