[obol] Coos/Curry Birds of Late

  • From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 09:28:27 -0700

On Saturday Lois Killer and Knute Andersson saw the beginnings of the loon
migration at Port Orford and had 3000+ loons, mostly PACIFICS and 550
BONAPARTE'S GULLS. This morning I counted 250 loons/minute off the north
spit of Coos Bay.  They were a bit far offshore; I would have stayed longer
but there was no wind and the mosquitoes were out in force.

The Cape Arago Audubon Society had a field trip the same day.  We saw and
heard BLACK-THROATED GRAY WARBLERS at Bethel Mtn., Coos. We also saw one of
the VESPER SPARROWS up Floras Creek, Curry (there were none at Bethel Mtn).
 In addition we saw what we presume was a hybrid male Rufous/Allen's Hummer
at New River, Coos.  It only had about 30-50% green on its back (it was
streaky) but did an Allen's type display.  This is the exact location Arch
McCallum recorded a hybrid at a couple years back.

Saturday night I camped up near Eden Valley in SE Coos.  On Sunday morning
I hiked up Mt. Bolivar around sunrise, the wind was already howling and I
had little luck with birds- i didn't even see or hear a Townsend's
Solitaire. Eden Valley was quiet also, the only bird out of the norm were a
few SAVANNAH SPARROWS which do not breed at this location.

I went down to Powers from there where it warmed up considerably- it was
80F by the time I arrived inn Myrtle Point at 1PM, a bit warmer than the
32F start up near Mt. Bolivar.  There were lots of singing BLACK-THROATED
GRAY WARBLERS, a few singing TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS, with ORANGE-CROWNEDS
about everywhere. I heard my first singing WILSON'S WARBLER south of
Powers- a bit on the early side but not record early. There were singing
CHIPPING SPARROWS in Powers as well as several singing CASSIN'S VIREOS in
various locations. The best find was a silent empid along the SF of the
Coquille River. It was in a willow clump.  I immediately thought Pac-slope
which I hadn't seen or heard anywhere.  However, the bird had a tiny all
black bill, a tear-drop shaped eye ring, a long primary extension and a
flattish head- perfect for HAMMOND'S FLYCATCHER.  I do not think I have
ever seen this species in the lowlands of Coos County.This is 11 days
earlier than the earliest previous Coos spring record too.

At the north spit of Coos Bay I saw a PURPLE MARTIN; Joe Metzler said they
arrived the first week of the month.  I also saw 80 CASPIAN TERNS camped
out on a sand flat across the bay from the boat ramp there.  This morning I
saw 8 CINNAMON TEAL out at the old Weyco pond site too.

Merry migration!
Tim R
Coos Bay