[obol] Crows. Names, misnomers for...

  • From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 10:16:20 -0700

OBOL,

I just returned from giving Tule her morning perambulation in Mt. Tabor
park and found, to my delight, a pile of crows in my front yard and
immediate surrounds. No, no McNamara,  not a "pile" you mean a murder.
Yeahyeah
There were upwards of 100 and the majority were giving voice.  I knew of
the murder, the flogged murmuration of starlings, the wisp of teal etc. But
as I was looking at the raucous buggers I was thinking that they reminded
me of a kind of  a hyper-obstreperous version of one Tolkien's  Ent moots.
There was no raptor about that they were taking to task they just seemed to
be yelling. So if not a moot, then maybe a British Parliament; all that
vociferous yapping---that seemed like an apt analog.  But owls have the
collective name claim for Parliament ostensibly because they are wise and
deliberative. Parliament = wise and deliberative--there's a poser.
Methinks they should sign over the brand to the crows...full of sound and
fury,signifying whoknowswhat. But it's damn entertaining.
good birding,
Tom