[obol] Re: Brown Pelicans headed south, Lincoln City 10-24-2014

  • From: Jeff Gilligan <jeffgilligan10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: d_villa@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:15:28 -0700

from North Point, Depoe Bay:

The slight SE breeze has resulted in a far different experience than what Phil
Pickering saw yesterday.

As Dawn noted, there has been a massive southerly movement of Brown Pelicans
and Doubled-crested Cormorants today.  The ocean is littered with Northern
Phalaropes, and there has been a dribbling of Heerman's Gulls ands California
Gulls.   There are also a few Bonaparte's Gulls in the mix.   The only alcids
that I have seen are Common Murres and a single Rhinoceros Auklet.

A large raft of kelp had 7 Arctic Terns on it, and one ELEGANT TERN flew by to
the south.

A small light-bellied Peregrine Falcon came by low over the ocean.  It seemed
to be hunting for phalaropes.

Jeff Gilligan